At Sneakers Annual Exam, a couple of weeks ago, it was discovered that he had about stage two out of five levels in the condition of his teeth.  His lymph nodes were swollen meaning gingivitis. So it is time to get his teeth cleaned and done before he has more problems for it can affect the heart, kidneys and liver. There will be no extractions of teeth which is good.  Keeping his gums healthy is also good.  He has renal failure issues (kidney disease) so we don’t need further complications.

Here they are sunning themselves about a day after Sneakers surgery

Here they are sunning themselves about a day after Sneakers surgery

The blood panel at the last examine will tell us how he is doing and we can use that for this procedure. They like to do blood draw before using anesthesia on especially an older cat.

We also found some masses, small, but there on his lower back head and side of his head. It was suggested that they be removed and tested.

My hubby had surgery so I was slow in scheduling Sneakers surgery and teeth cleaning and I was also waiting to take care of some bills before committing to this. It was not going to be cheap.

The day was scheduled for Monday, June 20, 2016.  Sneakers would not be able to eat anything after 10 pm the night before.  This meant that I had to remove all food from the kitchen and it even impacted Ebony.  I did leave lots of water.  Delivery time to the Vet would be 8 to 8:30 am.

I stayed up till 10 pm on June 19th and removed the food leaving the water.  I forgot the wheat grass.  However, the next morning I found a little pool of it on the floor of the dining room and I believe he did not ingest too much.

Sneaker climbed into our bed and cuddled with me in the morning of the 20th but both were being so good about the lack of food.  Now I knew it would not hurt either of them because they are a bit fat.  I added some more water but they were not impressed. I petted them without catnip.  Hubby came out and petted them as well several sessions. Our goal was to distract them.  They were confused and mewed some but mostly very good.

Before I put him into the pet carrier, I went out and got the car ready which means removing the cover we have on the front window to prevent debree accumulation from the trees and unlocking all the doors.

At 7:35 am I put Sneakers into the pet carrier, which I had brought in the night before to warm it up. It can be really cold in the winter.  It was sitting on the washing machine till I moved it to the floor of the kitchen and made sure it was set up and secure.  I like to put him into it from the top.

Sneakers was not happy about being in the carrier, but he was quiet this time.  I moved him to the car and got myself ready to go to the vet. I was a bit early for the vet, so I went and got gas which was close by and Sneakers was being very good. He was crying a little bit of the time which is to be expected.

At the vet I reviewed the process, asked for dissolving sutures which they were willing to do.  I had taken Sneakers to the vet twice in a month and I like to limit the trauma for both of us.  I also requested a shot for the antibiotic medicine that they would be giving him to prevent infection from the teeth cleaning and the sutures. I am not good and stuffing pills down a cats throat this is so much easier. I apologized for my picky behavior but they seem to be willing to assist me.  I signed a lot of papers.

I said goodbye to Sneakers and proceeded to head home leaving my papers and the special renal food bags I was going to purchase.  Augh I forgot them.  So who was stressed?

They called about 11 am to tell me Sneakers was doing great and had me talk to the doctor about the masses and which one to test because each mass test would be about $189 which means times two.  It was decided to send one and see what would happen with the test and then either send the other later or if needed.  This is basically a biopsy, yes we are testing for cancer.

I was to pick Sneakers up at 4:30 pm so he would spend the day at the vet recovering from the surgery and anesthetic. We were a bit early but they went over the release process with me giving me a handout. The handout looked like it was generic but also geared toward Sneaker’s needs.  It explained what they had done. We headed home. He was grunting a little in the carrier.

They had a catheter for IV fluids in one of his front legs so there was an area that was shaved.  I think that is bothering him a little now for he keeps his leg out in front of him.

They had an endotracheal tube to keep his airway open during surgery and if it is anything like what they do on humans it can be very uncomfortable after you wake up. They give you ice cubes. So I am assuming they were giving him something as well.  So they warned me he would be a little squeaky in voice and maybe cough a little. He did meow funny at first but seemed to be better later on.

He was groggy and a little wobbly when he came home. He was moving around well and he did climb onto the Futon using the little step stool we have for him. This morning he climbed to his table and onto the desktop where I work so he is doing well.

He ate good about an hour after he came home and I was putting soft food down throughout the night a little at a time.  He used the kitty box. He was drinking water regularly.

He is uncomfortable because the sutures are in the back of his head.  Hopefully today he will relax some and get good sleep.

Me, I spent the night on our camping cushion on the floor of the living room to keep and eye on them both and replenish the food throughout the night.  He did come over one time in the night but pretty much stayed on the Futon to rest with his brother Ebony.

This was a major surgery although the masses were tiny, but the teeth cleaning is a big deal and it costs a lot. I paid $727.75 for all this process.

Sneakers did real well 6 years ago when they removed the mass from his back but I can see that he is not as good 6 years later and this is a major deal for him.  Sigh…I am so glad it is over.

A day or so later the doctor called about the test results for the Histopath Report on one of the masses. His test came back negative for cancer so we decided not to send the other mass sample.  I am relieved.

It is now almost a week later and Sneakers is doing well and sleeping good, eating well and getting back to being his sweet bossy self.  His sutures are still there and we have to pet him carefully but when I touch them he doesn’t react so they are good.